Monroe Family

Our life with three beautiful daughters!

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley

Many of you know that our Prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. I have been thinking about him a lot lately and all of the wonderful things he has done in his life and for our church. I am sure he has inspired a lot of us to be better people. I remember when he challenged everyone to read the Book of Mormon by the end of the year. This challenge was offered right before my husband was being deployed for 4-5 months and my thought was there was no way I could do it. My husband would be away and I had two small children (a 2 1/2 year old and a 4 month old) to take care of all by myself. I wasn't going to accept this challenge and kept telling myself that God would understand. But the prophet didn't challenge those who it was just convenient for, he challenged everyone. So I decided to just do it, and follow the prophet. I can't begin to describe the blessings that came into my life. Now it was still very hard to have to care for these two young children all by myself while my husband was away, but it was like I just had an extra strength in me pushing me along. The prophet made this promise:

Without reservation I promise you that if each of you will observe this simple program, regardless of how many times you previously may have read the Book of Mormon, there will come into your lives and into your homes an added measure of the Spirit of the Lord, a strengthened resolution to walk in obedience to His commandments, and a stronger testimony of the living reality of the Son of God.

All I can say is that this truly did happen! It is just amazing by just reading this book what it can do for you! I am so grateful for Gordon B. Hinckley and everything he has guided me to do. He truly was such a wonderful man. I will miss him dearly.

3 comments:

The Monroes said...

I like this post a lot. My life does not go right if I am not reading the scriptures.

Bastianclan said...

Awwwee he will be missed... He is with his Wife. How cool is that?

Katrina said...

I finished The Book of Mormon on December 31. The following May Jason was baptized. I am so grateful for that challenge.